Issues with Mac recordings.

• Problem
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • Acknowledged
When I record a webinar on my Mac and convert it to .MOV format, I can play it on my Mac using Quicktime, but when it is stored elsewhere (iCloud, Google Drive, Vimeo), the audio and video play out of sync. When I uploaded it to Vimeo, they warned that the audio, video, and frame rates were sub-par, and that the lower frame rate may result in out of sync audio and video. Since Citrix does not offer a storage solution for Mac users, I was trying to put together a free registration process for webinar viewing, but that requires storing the recording somewhere. The alternative is just broadcast copies of the webinar to everyone, but then we get no contact information, and thus lose significant value of conducting webinars. Am I the only Mac user gullible enough to believe webinars could be recorded and stored? Or is there some other solution?
Photo of

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Okay, I have tried uploading the same recording to YouTube, and the synchronization problem is worse. Within the first minute, the video jumps ahead about six minutes. It appears that unless I want to broadcast an 86 MB file over email, this .MOV recording is useless.
Photo of RadminR

Radmin

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Did you ever find resolution to this? We are having the exact same issue. Have you tested this out using a PC and uploading a WMV file to google drive? Do you have the same audio/video sync issues/
Photo of Glenn Dobson

Glenn Dobson, Community Leader

• 5549 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Hi, Mac and PC recording are completely different, can you describe in detail what issues you are having?
Photo of RadminR

Radmin

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
When I have .mov files that play fine in Quicktime, once I upload to Google Drive to share with customers, the audio and video are completely out of sync. It's exactly what R Pouzar described in his original post.
Photo of Jake PatoskiJP

Jake Patoski

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
^^^^ This.
Photo of

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Sorry that I haven't come back to post the resolution to this problem before now. Citrix tech support suggested that I contact my Citrix sales rep and request being moved to one of their servers that allow storage of recordings from a Mac. Evidently (it seems reasonable if you think about it), they have multiple servers operating in various countries and some have capabilities that others don't. At least that was what I was led to believe. My rep passed me off to a very capable tech person, and she orchestrated closing my account (after I downloaded the data that I wanted to keep) and re-opening a new account associated with a server that provided storage of recordings from a Mac.

I never solved the Vimeo or YouTube sync problem, but the stored recordings on the Citrix server work great. Vimeo and YouTube customer support were less than helpful.
Photo of RadminR

Radmin

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
So, we went through the process of moving to a new server but this did not resolve the issue of the audio/video sync issue when uploading to Google Drive which is how we share our video files. In fact, it is even more out of sync now than it was before. Is there any way to resolve this issue?
Photo of Jan MorathJM

Jan Morath

• 3 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I can verify that this problem still exists - and is unsolved.

Response from support is still

"Since the previous user posted they talked to their rep (yours would be able to do the same) and they were moved to a different server to allow for archiving by mac's that would be the only thing I could recommend I am sorry."
Photo of Mark Richards

Mark Richards

• 13 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Very frustrating. I recorded a Mac-hosted a webinar and then spent 1/2 a day uploading to our company's YouTube channel only to find it's unusable because of audo/video sync problems and missing sections at the start. Not good enough! When will this be fixed?
Photo of Continuent TungstenCT

Continuent Tungsten

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
We're running to very same issues, with every recording lately :(
Photo of ABS SUPPORTAS

ABS SUPPORT

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
Same issue here recording gotomeeting or gotowebinar on Mac. No sync issues in the orginal .mov file when played and shared locally, but major audio / video sync issues when uploading to Youtube, Wistia, or anything along those lines to share. Very frustrating.
Photo of Glenn Dobson

• 5985 Posts
  • 269 Reply Likes
Hi,

After doing some research I have read that YouTube does not like all frame rates when it comes to recordings, this could be the reason why your file plays back normally on local machines but not once it has been uploaded. I am looking into the frame rate we are using and trying to confirm this is the cause.

Continuent Tungsten

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Maybe ... the video/audio remain in sync w/ YouTube if the videos are first converted to the lowest possible resolution, 480p :(

Is this possibly fixed in new GoToMeeting/GoToWebinar 6.0?
Photo of Mark Richards

Mark Richards

• 13 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
It's definitely not the resolution. It's something to do with the frame rate and/or format. We have another webinar today which we are recording on Mac. Still desperately need fix to this issue.
Photo of Glenn Dobson

• 5549 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Yes, I believe it is related to the frame rate GoToMeeting is recording at. I have contacted our developers and have asked them to look into it.
Photo of Jake PatoskiJP

Jake Patoski

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Would it be simple enough to just use something like Handbrake (or any other video transcoder/encoder) to try different frame rates?

I wanted to thank you in advance for digging into this solution. I really appreciate your continued attention to it.
Photo of Glenn Dobson

• 5549 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
It could be possible to run the .MOV file through something like Handbrake and create a copy with a frame rate closer to 24 frames per second.
Photo of Mark Richards

Mark Richards

• 13 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
The only solution that I have found that does not result in a huge file or degraded image quality is to replay the full webinar QT movie full screen and record the screen and audio using ScreenFlow (http://www.telestream.net/screenflow/) while it plays back. You can then export this recording as a high quality QT movie that can be uploaded successfully to YouTube.

Needless to say, this is far from satisfactory as it requires another purchased tool, time to replay the whole webinar again and time to encode before you can upload.

GoToWebinar needs to create the original QuickTime file in an uploadable format first time. Until this is fixed, it needs to be made clear in the marketing that recorded webinars on the Mac cannot be uploaded to YouTube or successfully used in other editing tools on the Mac. Users need to know this before purchasing and conducting webinars.

Continuent Tungsten

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Well said, Mark!
Photo of April Riordan

April Riordan

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am looking at WebEx and Adobe Connect for this (and many other) reasons.
Photo of Jake PatoskiJP

Jake Patoski

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hey y'all,

This has worked for me (on a Mac running OSX 10.7.5):
1) After you've converted your recording through GoToWebinar's converter, then download/open Handbrake, a video transcoder that is totally free.
2) These are the settings I used:

I changed the "Framerate" dropdown to 24, and made sure that the "Web optimized" box is checked. I believe that is all you'll need to change, but refer to the settings above in the image.
3) Start the Handbrake conversion process, then upload the new file to YouTube. Remember to wait a few minutes after it's finished for the HD version to finish processing. (I was freaking out going, "Why is it only in 480p?!" but it showed up about 10 minutes later.)

This process is actually slightly cleaner, since it drops the file size down from 207.9mb to 97mb, yet still is 720p in the upload (but YMMV).

The weird thing is, GoToWebinar's default frame rate is somehow ~6.15 fps. That's a pretty rare frame rate, especially for any video that includes movement (remember that 24fps is what most TV shows and movies use).

Hope this is helpful.
Photo of Glenn Dobson

• 5710 Posts
  • 222 Reply Likes
Thanks Jake this is very helpful.
Photo of Jamie Aphro

Jamie Aphro

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
This worked great, thanks Jake
Photo of April Riordan

April Riordan

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have no interest in all of these extra steps. Why can't I click record, do the webinar, stop recording, then get a file or link that can actually be shared easily with my attendees?
Photo of Jan MorathJM

Jan Morath

• 3 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
My way of solving the problem was using another transcoder - "Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate" ($39.99 on AppStore). It works fine - just to

1. Select the Vimeo output profil.
2. Drag and drop the recording onto the app.

Conversion is fairly fast, painless and requires no settings.

(of course - this should have worked without transcoding...)
Photo of John O'ConnellJO

John O'Connell

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled
Problems editing recording.

Hi,

Ever since I updated to Mavericks my recordings are altered when I import them into my video editing software. I've tried two different editing programmes so it's not them.

Basically the slides are skipped forward by one click. So when I'm speaking it shows the next bullet or the next slide.

It's fine if I just play the .mov file I get from gtw so there's something happening when I import the file into the editing programme. And I need to edit them.

Any ideas?
Photo of Glenn Dobson

• 5665 Posts
  • 217 Reply Likes
Hi John, could you try the Handbrake method that Jake mentions above?
Photo of Jake PatoskiJP

Jake Patoski

• 4 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Hey John -
Check out the solution I posted on another thread: http://community.gotomeeting.com/goto...

Basically, the default frame rate for the GoToWebinar videos isn't supported by YouTube (and in your case, your editing software is probably expecting something different as well), so it screws up the audio sync.

Try transcoding the videos to 24fps - it should help.
Photo of John O'ConnellJO

John O'Connell

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks, I tried it and it didn't work.

It seems that it just does it for the slides, and that it's not totally out of sync. For example when I have a video playing during the webinar the audio is synced but when I get the the next slide it just skips the first bullet or onto the next slide.

Again this is just when I import it into a video editing software. I can play the original using VLC and it works ok but I when I try to fast forward it gets stuck on the one slide while the audio plays what I've skipped to.
Photo of Mark Richards

Mark Richards

• 13 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
We need a movie with correct frame rate and formatting that can be edited, uploaded, etc. without time-consuming work-arounds that may or may not work.

Glenn - Are you able to confirm the cause and provide an estimate of when it will be fixed?
Photo of Mark Richards

Mark Richards

• 13 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Is there any progress with this from Citrix?
Photo of Glenn Dobson

• 5985 Posts
  • 269 Reply Likes
Hi,

Sorry, I do not have any new information at this time but will check back with the team to see if there is any progress.
Photo of John Whiteside

John Whiteside

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Are you guys ever going to fix this?
Photo of Mark Richards

Mark Richards

• 13 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Glenn - 3 months ago you said you'd "check back with the team". What was the result when you checked? Please tell us what the plan is re this bug. Thank you.
Photo of David DiamondDD

David Diamond

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I just ran into this today. I was trying to edit a video in Premiere and the frame rate was something like 1.72 FPS. It was unusable. I ended up having to export slides from the presentation and recreate the entire thing using just the audio track from the webinar.
Photo of Mark Richards

Mark Richards

• 13 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
Yes, Mac users are getting VERY poor service from Citrix re this issue (and other features such as draw tools). If you are a Mac user, I'd recommend using alternative solutions.

Note there has been no update to this from Citrix for over 4 months)

As it stands, the only way to reliably create a usable recording is to play the original recording back using QuickTime Player and record the screen as it plays back using a screen recorder such as ScreenFlow. ScreenFlow will then allow you to export an editable and uploadable (to YouTube) video.

This is expensive and time-consuming, but reliable and let's edit the recording before export.
Photo of Tom McCormackTM

Tom McCormack

• 6 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I'm still having this problem. I'm using a Mac with OS 10.9.3. The Handbrake option didn't do the trick. We're going to have to use a different webinar service if this isn't fixed soon.

Continuent Tungsten

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yes, problem persists :( I use Handbrake to change the FPS to Constant 24 FPS.
Photo of Tom McCormackTM

Tom McCormack

• 6 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I had it set as Peak Framerate (VFR). I'll try it again with Constant. Do you think that would make a difference? As many posters have mentioned, it's ridiculous that we have to go through this process. I appreciate everyone's suggestions, though.

Continuent Tungsten

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yup, it needs to be Constant frame rate. Otherwise, upon the upload to YouTube, your audio and video will be out of sync.
Photo of Tom McCormackTM

Tom McCormack

• 6 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thanks for the tip! I'm converting a new version right now. Out of curiosity, what kind of webinars are you producing?

Continuent Tungsten

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hope that works for you! You can find the channel at https://www.youtube.com/user/v1rsun3n
Photo of Glenn Dobson

• 5985 Posts
  • 269 Reply Likes
Hi,

I just wanted to let you know that this issue has not been forgotten. GoToMeeting uses Apples QuickTime to encode the video when we record on your Mac. QuickTime allows for a variable frame rate which may be why this issue happens.

I have been informed that we have made a number of changes in our upcoming releases and while not directly targeting frame rate, they may correct this issue.

I am going to run some recording tests with our pre-release software builds to see if I can upload them successfully to YouTube.
Photo of Tom McCormackTM

Tom McCormack

• 6 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thanks for the message, Glenn! Please let us know when this release is out. The Handbrake solution seems to work, but it's an unnecessary extra step.
Photo of Bill SpohnBS

Bill Spohn

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
still not working
Citrix is letting me and my customers down a BIG way.
Photo of David GroverDG

David Grover

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Hi All,

This has been an annoying issue for too long!  I am just uploading a recording from today to see if this has been fixed.  It seems crazy that GTW can't produce an output which can be uploaded to the worlds largest video sharing site!!!  Especially as the service offered by Citrix for sharing, doesn't work properly.

Another issue I have noticed (maybe this is related??) is that the frame rate on the produced .MOV has dropped considerably.  On the recording it is very difficult to follow the mouse.

Quicktime shows the FPS as 4.2!!! Which is crazy.  The playback of the Live Webinar itself is very smooth as I have checked by viewing my own on a secondary system.
Why is it do hard for GTW to support Mac properly?

YouTube is currently taking an age to process the file, which YT warned about as it is not in a streaming ready format.

Again, why can't GTW provide this???

David
Photo of Tom McCormackTM

Tom McCormack

• 6 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I just recorded a webinar and, even with the Handbrake solution, I'm having issues getting the audio/video to sync. I converted with Handbrake using the following settings:

Codec: H.264
Average Bitrate: 2500
Framerate: 24
Constant Framerate
2-pass encoding

It's pretty ridiculous that this problem has existed for at least 2 years and has not been resolved.

Any ideas?